Located in East Africa, Harambe is much more than a simple fishing or merchant village. It’s a living demonstration of humanity moving forward.

Harambe was once a center for ivory trade, and in the 1400s Portuguese colonists formed a military stronghold to protect this treasured commodity. Over the years Arabian, British, and eventually Dutch militaries continued to colonize this village. By 1961, through means of a peaceful revolution, the citizens declared independence from the Dutch along with an end to the harvesting of ivory.

Today, Harambe is self-governed and actively takes part in protecting local wildlife from the threat of poaching. It’s become a popular destination for travelers wanting to observe Africa's animals in their natural habitat.

1961

Restoration

  • Harambe restoration

The buildings in Harambe have been partially destroyed and burned during military conflicts in the past, but that doesn’t mean we let them go to waste. Since becoming self-governed the people of Harambe have put all available resources to good use.

Ongoing restoration still continues to this day. Our Mkubwa House, built in 1781, has been restored by Mjafari Architectural Restoration Company in 1992. Rehabilitation of our market and rail yard is currently underway thanks to the local purveyors. Harambe will always be a work in progress.

Relics of the past

Colonial Influences

  • British Mailbox

From Portuguese forts to a British mailbox, you can see the influences from the various countries that have colonized Harambe throughout our history.